You are here
Age of Wushu Review
Age of Wushu is a free-to-play action MMORPG about martial arts, developed by Chinese company Snail in 2012.
- Charming and exotic Chinese setting
- Flexible skill system
- Dynamical fast-paced combat
- Immersive historical-based plot
Age of Wushu Gameplay
The most noticeable feature of Age of Wushu is dynamic, immersive combat, which is based on the traditional Chinese martial arts. This aspect of the game takes the most significant part of the player’s gameplay, so the game has amazingly dynamic animations and detailed graphics, which increase the immersion into the game world. The classical martial art techniques are converted into less realistic but much more spectacular skills — if you are a fan of movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, than AoW is a game for you. It has both PvP and PvE modes both for single players and groups. Also, you can participate in the various competitions with members of your faction — it’s a kind of martial art schools, which train different skills combinations.
The setting of Age of Wushu is inspired by ancient China history. In this game, you can see picturesque landscapes of Chinese towns, explore the stories of famous martial art schools, and immerse into the living Chinese legend, driven by players.
One of the most sophisticated and detailed aspects of Age of Wushu is a combat system. Players can create characters with unique skill sets, but it’s necessary to choose a faction, which provides a basic range of abilities. Since the battle mechanics of AoW are quite complicated, the developers provided players with extensive tutorial quests. As the official novice guide says, you will have to train at least seven days to complete all introduction missions.
Another core system of the game is character labels. Depending on your actions, your hero will be labelled as Heroic, Evil, Lunatic, or Sinister; the current status can be changed not only by interaction with other players but also by participation in different events, such as kidnapping. Each action gives you Good, Evil or Confident points. Beware that evil characters are being prosecuted as criminals so that they can be captured or killed by members of law and order. Moreover, Age of Wushu provides different mechanics of “social tricks”: for example, you can hide your status to escape from the law, or participate in the execution of punishment.
Age of Wushu Classes
The game has eight schools of martial arts, and each of them provides players with unique ability sets and visual traits:
- Shaolin — this school is suitable for those who want to train the skills of melee art. Students of Shaolin use sticks and staffs as their weapon. Also, it has one of the strictest rule sets, which forbids not only illegal activities but also luxuries and alcohol.
- Wudang — the faction of agile swordsmen, who perform the best at protective role in combat.
- Emei — faction for long-ranged heroes equipped with daggers. This school accepts only female students.
- Beggars’ Sect — a school with the strict ruleset, which trains students to fight using a staff.
- Wanderer’s Valley — a faction of amoral criminals. Students of this school are the best at tricks, poisons and mastery of dark chi.
- Royal Guards — the supervisors of lawful acts, who use blades and swords as their weapons.
- Tangmen — one of the most mysterious and ambiguous schools. This faction provides skills of long-ranged combat with equipped daggers or darts.
- Scholars — the most unusual faction, which gathers up fighters who play on musical instruments.
Age of Wushu System Requirements
- Memory: 1GB
- Graphics Card: GeForce 6600
- CPU: Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
- File Size: 10GB
- OS: Windows 7
- Memory: 2GB
- Graphics Card: GeForce 9600GT
- CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E6
- File Size: 10GB
- OS: Windows 7