You are here
Blade and Soul Review
Blade and Soul is a fantasy MMORPG developed by a Korean studio NCsoft in 2012.
- Action combat
- Character customization
- Variety of classes
- Story-driven gameplay
Blade and Soul Gameplay
Blade and Soul is a representative of Korean MMORPGs with a fantasy world. Going by the plot of the game, the player will gain an opportunity to become a hero of the Midworld. The game features fifty story characters, three hours of voiced cutscenes and more than two hundred and fifty story chapters. The player gradually progresses from protecting small villages from pirates to defending the whole world against evil.
There is full character customization in this MMORPG, and players are also able to choose from four available races: Gon, Jin, Yun and Lyn. Not every class is supported by certain races, so the choice is essential.
Blade and Soul presents an action non-target combat system where the main goal is to get combo attacks in order to deal more damage. Game’s combat system activates extra attacks when enemies are in certain states: stunned, dropped on the ground or up in the air. Additional damage can be dealt when the enemy is hit from the back or grabbed. Players can also counter-attack to discover new techniques. The combat requires quick reactions.
Blade and Soul features a set of dungeons and raids that require a group to clear them out and defeat the bosses. The difficulty of the dungeon determines the exclusivity of the rewards. Some bosses demand more damage to give better loot. All raid and dungeon locations have their patterns of combat and particular qualities that influence the end reward. These trials become available at level 40.
The PvP system of Blade and Soul features four different modes.
Arena mode can be either 1x1 or 3x3. In this mode, gear’s characteristics don’t matter, as all stats get averaged, and players become equal. Rewards grant experience and PvP-PvE equipment.
Battlegrounds are designed for 6x6 battles, and this mode features not only player eliminations but also interactions with the environment. Players will have to capture objects and defend control points.
Faction PvP requires a particular outfit. This outfit grants an opportunity to attack the player of an opposing faction in any place of the world.
Blade and Soul Classes
There are twelve classes in the game, and they all can be divided into three categories - tanks, damage dealers and supporters. All classes have their unique combat skills and powersets that allow to customize the playstyles and adjust them for comfort.
- Assassin — is a mobile class that deals a vast amount of damage but bears low amounts of health points. They move in stealth, which is their primary ability. Their abilities also include a multitude of explosives, traps, and shurikens.
- Blade Dancer— a Lyn only class that wields a sword. Blade Dancer is an attack-oriented class that has a lot of single-target skills, defensive ones and a few ranged abilities.
- Blade Master — a class similar to Blade Dancer but more difficult in use. Blade Master doesn’t have a defensive stance and deals more damage by being more mobile. They are also able to deal damage from afar.
- Destroyer — a melee class that specializes in controlling significant amounts of enemies. This class is a tank in Blade and Soul and can only be played as Gon race.
- Force Master — damage dealers who are mainly crowd-controlling. Usually attack from afar to provide comfortable enemy distribution. Force Master is similar to a classic Mage in other MMORPGs.
- Gunslinger — a class, designed for middle-ranged combat, wielding two pistols and a grappling hook.
- Kung Fu Master — is an attack class which is the most difficult in the game. To deal high damage, players are required to have quick reflexes and worked out techniques. Kung Fu Masters are armed with gauntlets only.
- Soul Fighter — a hybrid class between a Force Master and a Kung Fu Master. Deals vast amounts of damage from any distance but takes a lot of practice to master.
- Summoner — a Lyn only class which can summon Familiars to help in battle. Familiars can be chosen and customized.
- Warden — is another tank class that builds up resilience to defend themselves from damage. They specialize in neutralizing enemies’ attacks and controlling crowds.
- Warlock — summoners who call upon demons to help in battles. Designed for middle-ranged combat and uses magic to fight.
- Zen Archer — can be played as a supporter or a stealth damage dealer. Wields a bow and attacks enemies from afar.
Blade and Soul System Requirements
- Memory: 3 GB
- Graphics Card: GeForce 8600GT HD4600
- CPU: Intel Dual Core 2,9 GHz
- File Size: 22 GB
- OS: Windows 7
- Memory: 4 GB
- Graphics Card: GeForce 8800GT HD4850
- CPU: Intel Quad Core 3,1 GHz
- File Size: 22 GB
- OS: Windows 10