The main activities in the game are matches, daily quests and craft.
The Matches are the combats 1x1 between two players. In combat, you can use the cards that you chose into your card deck before the match. Every action in battle costs mana. When it's your turn, you can cast spells, equip weapons, summon maintenance or replace one of your heroes with the Death Knight.
Each player represents a certain hero. All of the heroes are divided into nine classes. In some game modes, you can pick a unique hero.
- Mage — an adept of magical arts. Those heroes can freeze the enemies and cause great damage on them.
- Priest — a healer class of the hero. Those characters could heal and support the allies, or freeze and destroy the foes.
- Warlock — a risky heroes that can summon strong demons and mighty spells, exposing themselves and the allies to attack.
- Paladin — a pure healer and buffer heroes. They also can summon the recruit-paladin.
- Warrior — expert in weapons. Those heroes are able to defend themselves and they also have a strong armour.
- Druid — a master of art of the creature summon. When summoning creatures to the battlefield, they can choose the necessary stats of the minion.
- Hunter — a classical pet class. All of their skills are based on the cooperation with the animals.
- Rogue — a sneaky heroes who changes the rules of the game to fit their needs.
- Shaman — an adept of the elemental magic.
The Cards are representing each action of the player. They divided into four categories:
- Summon Cards — casts the minions at the deck. They can be identified as Beast, Demon, Murloc, Pirate, Mech, or Elemental. The tribe of the summoned creature is indicated on the card.
- Spell Cards — activates the spells with an instant effect.
- Equippable weapons — allows the heroes to attack enemies as minions.
- Hero cards — transform a player's hero into a powerful Legendary version.
To get new cards, you can craft or buy them. If you want to craft a card, you have to destroy one of the existing ones, because you need arcane dust. Such a system was created as an alternative to the method of exchanging cards between players.
- Play mode is a basic one. Here you can face an opponent with a skill level similar to yours. There is an opportunity to play a "friendly" game or start a rank match.
- Solo Adventures modes are single-player combats. In this mode, you will rival with an AI. Your main goal is to defeat bosses and complete challenges. Solo Adventures are temporary events, so when the next Adventure is released, the previous removed from the game.
- Arena mode. In this game mode, you will be offered to choose 30 cards out of the random pool. In this mode, you can only rely on your skill and luck because of the deck unpredictability. The game is played up to three defeats or twelve victories. For participating in the battle at the Arena, you will receive a reward, some arcane dust and several cards.
- Tavern Brawl is a weekly event that challenges players to combat with different rules and conditions. Sometimes this mode requires unique game experiences. You always have to adapt to new obstacles in a Tavern Brawl.
- Missions are single-player mode, similar to the Adventures. The main difference is that in Missions you do not get as rich prizes as in Adventures. This mode is more aimed to tell the story of the Hearthstone.
- Dungeon Run is another single-player mode where you have to beat all of the eight bosses. The complexity of the game increases with each defeated opponent, but the reward for victory is worth going through these difficulties.
- Monster Hunt has its minor features, but in general, it is very similar to the Dungeon Run.
- Puzzle Lab is a single-player mode that categorized into four puzzled, that player has to solve. There are:
Lethal Puzzle, where you need to destroy the enemy's hero in one turn;
Mirror Puzzle, a mirrored board;
Board Clear Puzzle, where the player challenged to clear the field;
Survival Puzzle, where the player's goal is to survive the enemy's attacks.
- Rumble Run is the challenge where the player starts with a troll called Rikkar. The goal of the Run is to defeat the other heroes.
- Battlegrounds is a battle of 8 players 1x1. The winner is the one that stayed last. This mode changes all of the basic mechanics: there is no mana, and the minions cost coins. The game also divided into two phases, an essential Tavern phase and the Combat phase.
- Practice mode is intended for the new players who want to learn the basics of the Hearthstone.
- Friendly Challenge is a battle with players from your friend list.
- Spectator Mode is a game mode that allows to watch the matches of other players.
Hearthstone is a perfect game for fans of Warcraft and players who like dTCG.