You are here
Hyper Scape Review
Hyper Scape is a fast-paced Battle Royale game in an urban cyberpunk setting.
- Dynamic and fast gameplay that will not let you relax
- All features of the Battle Royale genre in a new modified form
- Unusual stylistics with high-quality implementation
- Wide set of character abilities to suit a variety of play styles
Hyper Scape Gameplay
Hyper Scape is a multi-platform multiplayer first-person shooter in Battle Royale genre. The project was developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft in August 2020.
The game has several game modes; standard game mode shares elements with other battle royals. Players find themselves on a large-scale map, which in solo mode can accommodate up to 100 players and up to 99 players in team mode.
Similar to other Battle Royals, the battle area will narrow over time. However, this has its peculiarity: the map of Hyper Scape loses entire sectors over time. If the player does not have time to return to the combat zone, the hero will start receiving damage. Moreover, the damage from the inactive area is much more significant here than in other Battle Royals.
A distinctive feature of the gameplay here is the presence of a "crown" that appears in the last zone. Capturing the crown and holding it for 45 seconds is an alternative way to win the match. Hyper Scape also provides an opportunity to win according to the classic rules of the Battle Royale — to kill all opponents and remain alone or with a team.
The storyline of Hyper Scape
The events of the game take place in 2054 in Neo-Arcadia, a city-metaverse created by Prisma Dimensions. In the real world, climate change, infrastructure destruction and social services overload is taking place. 9.9 billion people, whose lives have turned into a daily struggle for existence, try to seek shelter and find it in Hyper Scape. It's a unique virtual space in which you can play, shop, chat, use a wide variety of interactive products and much more.
Hyper Scape opens up new opportunities for people and, at the same time, a new era. At the same time, a new sport known as Crown Rush becomes popular. Players of the Crown Rush fight each other for glory and prestige.
Ubisoft is consistently completing the history of the game universe with the release of each new season. Also, a separate series of digital comics for the game is being released. After reviewing them, the player can learn more about the Hyper Scape universe.
At the moment, the game has 23 characters with unique biography and backstory. Each of them has their relationships with other participants in the Battle Royale, as well as the motives for participation. Someone is directly related to the Prisma Dimensions; someone came to Hyper Scape from a difficult life; different goals lead others. Overall, the Hyper Scape lore is quite detailed and interesting. Getting into the game universe, the player will immediately wish to understand what is happening and get to know more about the plot features.
In-game Tutorial in Hyper Scape
The game has a reasonably low barrier to entry, as it begins with a detailed tutorial and explanation of the basic mechanics.
For a short period, specific goals will be highlighted for completing the tutorial. The basics of control are explained: keys for movement, attack, interaction, slide, etc. After the player is introduced to the mechanics of weapon possession, as well as the features of its improvement, it's possible to use free time to try out various types of weapons and shoot at targets.
In the tutorial, players also receive access to all skills which will be encountered on the battlefield. You can read a detailed description of how they work, as well as try them in action. As soon as the player thinks he is ready to move into battle, he can leave the training area and start playing.
Style and graphics of Hyper Scape
Hyper Scape is made in the style of cyberpunk, implying the world of the future, dystopia, in which the high development of technology contrasts with a low social level, dirt, devastation.
The atmosphere is conveyed both through the in-game environment and through the lore. The map consists of a metropolis made in a futuristic style. Tall and low buildings, closely adjacent to each other, are hung with neon billboards and signs. Trampolines are scattered throughout, throwing players onto rooftops, and each building has balconies that let you jump anywhere.
The game has excellent graphics that meet the requirements of an AAA level project from 2020. Hyper Scape has high-quality lighting and shadows; the environment objects and decorative elements, as well as the models of characters, weapons and abilities, are well detailed.
We should also mention the soundtrack for the game, which Ubisoft once again managed to pick up perfectly. It is high-quality music that entirely fits into the gaming style, and also adds dynamics and action. You won't get tired of listening to the tracks even after many hours spent in the game.
For more excellent audience coverage, as well as a pleasant gaming experience, the developers managed to optimize the project for both previous generations of graphic cards and current ones.
Basic in-game mechanics of Hyper Scape
Movement in the game is one of the separate fascinating processes since the movement of characters occurs using various elements of parkour. The player can efficiently perform multiple tricks in the process of movement, with the help of the double jump mechanic. This feature adds dynamics to Hyper Scape, especially during gunfights with other players.
The need to introduce a parkour system can also be associated with a game map model, consisting almost entirely of tall buildings, as well as a system of quickly removing areas of the map from the safe zone. Most of the confrontations with other players take place on rooftops, which requires mobility to move around. Also, fast movement is useful in the process of collecting loot, as it allows you to quickly search buildings and again promptly move from one building to another.
Challenges and tasks
Hyper Scape implements a tier system. By completing various challenges and tasks, he will be able to earn the necessary points and increase the level of his account. The tier system was introduced for high-quality selection of players in the session so that the game was balanced and users competed with opponents of the same experience. The player will be able to track the progress, as well as receive various rewards when moving to a new level. Thus, in the paid and free versions of Battle Passes with the movement to a new tier, the user will receive valuable rewards.
Quests and challenges are of various types and difficulties. Some goals are updated daily, and the player is given exactly 24 hours to complete them. Some require a longer time to achieve and are not time-limited, but their completion is rewarded with a higher number of points.
Weapons and shooting
The player will be able to try out various types of submachine guns, pistols, rifles and shotguns in battle. There are more severe weapons, such as a cannon that shoots with energy spheres, as well as a minigun.
The shooting mechanics are arcade and casual. However, it also adds a dynamic to the gameplay. For some types of weapons, there is an aiming mode.
The second chance is a feature which is active in the first 5 minutes of playing time in the classic game mode. If a player dies during the active "second chance", then he has the opportunity to re-land on the battlefield. It is a handy feature, as it excludes the death of players at the very start, and also makes it possible to take revenge on the enemy.
The game has consistently held in-game events, in which new game modes appear. Various event modes add to the flavour of the classic game by changing gameplay and adding new mechanics. For example, in "floor is lava" mode, all streets are flooded with lava, forcing players to move only along the rooftops. Falling into the lava, the player takes colossal damage. If in a short time, he does not manage to get out, then he will die. Similar to this mode, Dark Haze and Turbo Mode were also introduced. In Dark Haze the city was covered with a shroud of fog, limiting the visibility of the players and complicating the process of firefights. The second mode is an accelerated version of the classic game mode. In it, all the players' equipment is at the maximum level of fusion, health regenerates faster, and sectors collapse at high speed.
The developers of Hyper Scape have come up with a unique extension for the Twitch streaming platform, allowing viewers to influence the streamer's game directly. So, by voting on the choice of event, viewers will be able to introduce into the game the event "Low gravity" or "Infinite ammo", which will affect all participants in the match! Another feature is Kudos - visual effects with which viewers can express their emotions about what is happening and support the streamer. In addition to good interactivity through a direct impact on the streamer's gameplay, it is possible to get a gift look for a character by linking a Twitch account and Uplay, as well as monitor live match statistics.
Key features of gameplay in Hyper Scape
In Hyper Scape squad mode, after dying, the player will reappear on the battlefield, but already in the guise of a phantom and will be able to serve his team in the form of a scout. After the team wins, a spawn point will appear where teammates can revive the phantom player.
Landing on the map, players will only have melee weapons at their disposal. All over the map are scattered boxes with firearms, the guns and special abilities — "hacks". A player can only take two weapons and two hacks with him.
Hacks are a kind of skill system here.
The presence of one or another ability found in time can save the player's life, as well as turn the shootout in his favour.
Hacks available to players:
- Teleport — An ability that will allow the player to move a short distance instantly
- Slam — This ability activates a high jump, followed by hitting the ground upon landing. Strike deals damage to all enemies nearby.
- Heal – This ability activates short-term regeneration.
- Wall — When using this skill, the character will be able to place a large wall in the selected area. Helps to escape from pursuit, as well as cut off the enemy's escape routes
- Invisibility — This skill activates short-term invisibility. Useful if the player wants to suddenly attack the enemy, or get away from the pursuit.
- Mine — This ability places a proximity mine in a target area. When an enemy approaches it, it explodes and deals significant damage.
- Armor — A skill that gives the character an additional scale of protection. The armor absorbs some of the damage.
- Reveal — A skill that scans the nearest area for the presence of opponents. Nearby enemies will be marked.
- Ball — A skill that instantly turns a character into a vast bouncing ball for a short period.
- Shockwave — It is a skill that causes a shockwave in the specified area, throwing up opponents. This ability can also be used on yourself.
- Magnet — It is a skill that places a magnet in a specified area. For a short time, all enemies near the magnet will be attracted to it.
Hyper Scape has a system for improving weapons and abilities. It works by looting identical types of skills and weapons that the player already has in equipment. It either expand the magazine or decreases the cooldown or increases the damage from the ability.
Donation system in Hyper Scape
Hyper Scape has its in-game store where you can buy all kinds of things for a donation currency. The developers introduced a loot box system in parallel with the ability to purchase individual desired items. The mechanics of loot boxes are associated with virtual containers, when using which the player receives random virtual things of various values and purposes. The spectrum of these items is quite broad, ranging from simple modifications to the appearance of a character or player's avatar, to game-changing items such as weapons or armor. In the case of Hyper Scape, the player can get various skins for weapons, emotions and victory animations of characters, items for characters, as well as new champions.
The player will periodically have access to special offers from stores, using which the player will be able to purchase various items at a bargain price, as well as purchase separate sets of things.
The developers did not forget to introduce the currently popular battle pass system. It provides additional content to the game, usually through a level system, and rewards players with in-game items for playing and completing specific challenges throughout the season.
Hyper Scape has implemented two models of battle passes at once: provided free of charge and requiring purchase through microtransactions.
Upon receipt, the Battle Pass offers the player many levels with rewards. All rewards provided here are cosmetic, for example, ways to customize a character or weapon, emotions and other elements that do not affect the gameplay. The most attractive rewards are given for the last levels, which allows players to use them in the game to emphasize their status. Experience for progressing in a Battle Pass is obtained through either the standard game or, more often, by completing in-game challenges.
Games like Hyper Scape
- Apex Legends is a multiplayer first-person shooter and Battle Royale computer game developed by the American studio Respawn Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts. Apex Legends is set in the same universe as the Titanfall games; some gameplay mechanics were borrowed from the same series. Apex Legends pits up to 60 players on a single map, acting in groups of three - up to twenty teams in total. The peculiarity of this Battle Royale, as well as its similarity with Hyper Scape, is that before the start of each match it is proposed to choose one of the heroes with their unique abilities. These two games have external similarities and similarities in dynamics, as well as similar parkour mechanics. There is also a loot box system, as well as the purchase of cosmetic items that do not affect the game balance.
- Call of Duty: Warzone It is a multiplayer first-person shooter and battle royale computer game developed by Infinity Ward and Raven Software and published by Activision. Warzone lets you wage online multiplayer battles between 150-200 players in the fictional city of Verdansk. The gameplay is similar to the classic Battle Royale, but there are some differences. So, dying in battle, the player has a second chance. Killed players end up in the GULAG, where they engage in a single fight with another killed player. Both rivals have the same weaponry. The winner of such a battle returns to the playing field. Also, during the war, players have the opportunity to collect money, with which they can later order the delivery of equipment or weapons to the location of their player. Call of Duty®: Warzone and Hyper Scape, apart from the general genre, have a very similar gunfight model as well as dynamics.
- Quake 3 Arena is a first-person shooter computer game developed by id Software and published by Activision in 1999. This project is a full-fledged classic multiplayer arena shooter. Despite the difference between the genres of Hyper Scape and Quake III Arena, these games have a lot in common. First of all, it should be noted that the developers of Hyper Scape were inspired by the mechanics of the arena shooters, including Quake III Arena. Games have similar dynamics, and some movement mechanics, such as pop-up platforms. The behaviour of the weapon, as well as its types, are also very similar.
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) is a Massively Multiplayer Online Battle Royale game developed and published by PUBG Corporation. The project has already become a classic of the genre, as well as the ancestor of the Battle Royale games. This is an action game in which players of up to 100 people fight among themselves to become the last survivor. Users can choose how to enter the match: solo, as a pair, in a trio, or a squad of four. In any case, the last person or team left alive wins the match. As in Hyper Scape, there are all the main mechanics of the genre: an open map with a gradually narrowing safe zone, loot, a massive number of weapons, vast possibilities for customizing characters and items of equipment.
Hyper Scape System Requirements
- Memory: 6 GB RAM
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (2 GB), AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2 GB) or Intel HD 520
- CPU: Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.3GHz or AMD FX-4130 @ 3.8Ghz (SSE 4.2 support or higher and AVX required)
- File Size: 30 GB available storage
- OS: Windows 8 or Windows 10 (64-bit versions)
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER (6 GB) or AMD Radeon RX 480 (4 GB
- CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X (SSE 4.2 support or higher and AVX required)
- File Size: 30 GB available storage
- OS: Windows 8 or Windows 10 (64-bit versions)