You are here
Lord of the Rings Online Review
Lord of the Rings Online (LotRO) is an MMORPG in a fantasy setting, based in the universe of the Middle-Earth of J. R. R. Tolkien.
- Tons of expansion content with new locations, races and quests
- Unique PvP mode Monster Play
- Exciting plot and side-quests
- Deep character customization
Lord of the Rings Online Gameplay
The Lord of the Rings Online is a unique free-to-play roleplaying game in the setting of fantasy. The events of the LotRO inspired by the famous Lord of the Rings book series by J. R. R. Tolkien. Thanks to the depth and sophistication of the story source, the game has a deep, immersive plot, many locations, heroes and quests, and opens up a vast space for roleplaying. In this MMO, you can visit the areas from books and films, talk to famous heroes and influence the events of this fantasy world.
The core mechanics of the game are pretty typical for RPG games: you can participate in the battle, where you have to target on enemies by clicking on them; talk to NPCs and complete their quests, craft various useful items, and develop your character.
The world of LotRO is quite extensive. You can visit many broad picturesque locations, situated all over the map. The world of this game is divided into four vast regions: Eriador, Rhovanion, Mordor, and Gondor; each of them is separated into smaller areas. Each place on the map has its unique visual style and atmosphere. Exploring the regions, you will meet lots of non-playable characters, and many of them would like to ask you for help. The quests given by NPCs are ranging by the character's level and difficulty of the task.
The game has a standard smooth battle system: to start a fight, you will have to target the enemy with a mouse click, and only after that your character will begin performing abilities. All of the playable classes have lots of usable skills, so you should understand the basic mechanics of your capabilities if you want to immerse into gameplay. Most of the story-based and side-quests involve you in PvE combats with dark creatures. Another enjoyable feature is mounted combat.
For players that prefer PvP battles, the game provides unique PvMP mode. The concept of this competition is that you can enter the PvP as a regular character, or quickly add a special Monster Hero to play the specific role of the dark creature. Monsters have different classes and gameplays. For winning in this combat, you will gain XP points and valuable prizes.
Before you start your journey in the world of Lord of the Rings Online, you will have to create a character. You can change the name, gender, appearance, race, and a class of your hero. Class and race are two fundamental aspects of the game: these options influence the abilities, gameplay style and the relationship of your char with other NPCs and players.
Races in LotRO
First of all, you will have to pick a race. The game has ten unique classes to choose, so you will probably find one suitable.
- Beorning — the damage and support class at the same time. Beornings are gifted with the shapeshift talent so that they can transform into a mighty bear during combat. This race lives in solitude, far in the forests. Also, the available one class for Beornings is Beorning, so you definitely won't get confused about the role of these heroes.
- Dwarf— the race of charismatic miners, with an incredible sense of humour, strong character and brave soul. They're excellent fighters and loyal allies with a talent of the artisans. This race lives deep in the mountains, in fabulous mine cities, cut down right in the depths of the cliffs. However, these stocky, bearded friendly people are not without a flaw: they are quite greedy and quarrelsome when it comes to communicating with other races — especially with Elves.
- Elf — the tall, graceful and elegant human-like creatures with pointed ears and incredible perfect appearance. Elves are one of the elder races of Middle-earth. They primarily live in forested realms, far from the views of other creatures. The Elven race is the best at archery and agility.
- High Elf — one of the most ancient and powerful elves, surpassing in grace and wisdom even their forest brothers and sisters. One of their features is that High Elves can perform ballet as their racial dance.
- Hobbit — a race of friendly, happy people. More than anything, they appreciate to eat lots of delicious meals, drink good beer and spend time in a pleasant company. Most hobbits spend their entire lives peacefully without leaving the borders of their native Shire; they are more likely to prefer gardening and simple smooth lifestyle, than risk their lives in the adventure. Nevertheless, these small, intelligent creatures can be great warriors and loyal allies to their friends. They prefer to live in hillside holes, covered with well-groomed grass. Another impressive feature of this race is that Hobbits live and travel barefoot:
their strong legs allow them to move on vast distances and not get tired or hurt.
- Man — a race with unremarkable appearance, but with extraordinary fortitude and courage. Humans live short lives, but manage to complete many deeds and go through numerous adventures. Humans are often ambitious, with a complicated character, but they can be faithful allies and friends.
- Stout-axe — the descendants of one of the Dwarven houses. They support Mordor's inhabitants and suffer from a painful fate. These creatures forge the power of Mordor with their own hands and support the army of darkness with high-quality weapons and armour.
Lord of the Rings Online Classes
- Captain — a leader of warriors and wise commander for the allies. Captains use warcries to strike the enemy, buff the teammates and heal wounded allies. This class can use any battle role.
- Beorning — a class with an ability of shapeshifting, available only to Beornings.
- Burglar — a trickster; assassin hero that knows numerous tricks and attacks, used to confuse enemies. It's a debuffer stealth class.
- Champion — a physically powerful class that uses heavy armour and colossal weapons in close melee combat. The characters of this race perform nicely at damage-dealer, tank and crowd-control roles.
- Guardian — the honourable tank class, used to protect the allies from enemy attacks. Guardians wear the most massive armour and most durable shields to prevent the damage as long as possible.
- Hunter — ranged agile class, with impressive survival and archery skills. They're masters at fast ranged combat. The Hunter class is a pure damage dealer with low HP, so these heroes should find the tank allies for protection, or fight so quick so the enemy can't even reach them.
- Lore-master — a guardian of wisdom. These heroes concentrate on exploring the secrets of the world and protecting them from evil forces. Lore-masters are good at summoning, crowd-control and debuffing. These heroes always have one of their pets active.
- Minstrel — the class of musicians that are gifted at magic songs. They can perform various melodies, that buff the stats of the whole team and heals all nearby allies.
- Rune-keeper — a class of adepts of pure magic. Keepers can use their outstanding abilities to heal their teammates and fight with the forces of evil.
- Warden — semi-ranged class of melee fighters that use Javelins as their weapon. These heroes also use unique Warden Shields, that protect them from enemy attacks. It is a universal class: Wardens can be Tanks and Damage Dealers at the same time.
Lord of the Rings Online System Requirements
- Memory: 1GB
- Graphics Card: 128MB
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz
- File Size: 12 GB
- OS: Windows XP
- Memory: 2 GB
- Graphics Card: 512MB
- CPU: Dual Core 2.66 GHZ
- File Size: 20 GB
- OS: Windows Vista 64-bit