You are here
MechWarrior Online Review
MechWarrior Online is a free-to-play MMO mech simulator, developed by Piranha Games in 2013.
- Unique mech simulator
- A vast amount of different vehicles
- Many game modes
- System of factions and faction battles
MechWarrior Online Gameplay
MechWarrior Online is a game, where players have to take control of a colossal combat vehicle called Battlemech. The concept of MWO is to fight with other players, gain XP and c-bills to customize your mech. There are lots of different game modes, locations and maps. Also, you can join a faction to play with your allies and fight for control of planets.
The Mechs in MechWarrior are divided into four different categories, restricted by weight. Light Mechs range from twenty to thirty-five, Medium Mechs weigh from forty to fifty-five, Heavy Mechs range from sixty to seventy-five, and the Assault Mechs can weigh up to one hundred tons. Players can deeply customize mechs: from the appearance, changing the chassis and visible parts, to configuration, where you can add new weapons, parts of the body and armour to your vehicle. The Mech body has the same structure as the human body with some significant features. It consists of two arms, two legs, torso, cockpit and head. You can install components on the casing of each part of your machine; it might be additional armour, energy and ballistic weapon, electronic countermeasure, and anti-missile system. Heavy machines also can carry laser guns, autocannons, and missiles. Also, you can change the cosmetics: apply a camo pattern, decals, change the colour, add bolt-ons or cockpit items.
Mechs can be customized in the Mech Bay. It has numerous menus, where you can change the equipment and appearance of your vehicle. In this interface, you can see the machines you own and the trial Battlemechs.
One of the side menu in this category is Achievements; you can get these rewards by doing some specific actions during the match. Also, for the Achievements, you will receive titles, which other players will see.
Another menu is Leaderboard. Here you can see the best players in different categories, such as Total Kills, Match score, Total wins, and moreover. You can also sort it by mechs, or see the global rating. It is made for players who want to compete with others and show the mastery of skills.
The game also has some useful features for players who only started playing or for those who want to try a new mech. There are Testing Ground and Academy modes; in the first one, you can decide on mech before you obtain it, try different weapons and components. The second one is designed for beginners. You can play the scripted tutorial, or explore the Academy in various scenarios.
During the game, you will have to choose a faction. Numerous clans are fighting for dominance in the galaxy and occupating different zones of inner space. You can be a loyal fighter and accept only one side, or change it for the more valuable contracts. Factions pay c-bills for completing missions; the loyal pilots get better payouts, but the Mercenaries can switch the sides without any penalty.
- Conquest — this mode requires players to claim the control of various maps on the map, called Capture Zones. In the Conquest mode, it's more important to defend captured areas than to fight with enemies.
- Assault — in Assault maps, the players' goal is to capture the enemy's base. It's one of the tactical and strategy-oriented modes.
- Skirmish — the mode with no objectives, bases, or resources. It has pure combat gameplay, with comfortable locations designed primarily for mech combat.
- Domination — in this mode, the winner is the team that has taken control of the central Communications Beacon. To gain victory, players have to control the objective more than one minute, until a special timer ends the countdown.
- Escort — the asymmetric game mode, where players have to assign the Attacker or Defender role. Defenders have to protect the objectives and escort it to destination point; Attackers should stop Defenders and hit the targets.
- Incursion — the mode where players have to defend the Team Base to win. There are also vital points on the map, that can be besieged to get bonuses.
- Siege — the mode that shows one of the lore periods of the game. The Siege is a scene of planetary invasion; the attackers have to besiege the SOS base at any cost, and the defenders should protect their objectives at any cost. It's a 12v12 mode.
- Scouting — single-spawn mode, where players have to find the data points faster than the opponent team.
- Counter Attack — an advanced Siege mode. The Defenders should attack the players that were offenders in the previous game; at the same time, they have to take back the SOS base. As usual, the Attackers should destroy the objectives. It's another 12v12 mode.
MechWarrior Online System Requirements
- Memory: 4 GB
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA 8800 GT
- CPU: Intel Core E7300 2.66 GHz
- File Size: 45 GB
- OS: Windows 7 (64-Bit)
- Memory: 8 GB
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
- CPU: Intel: Core i5 3.20 GHz
- File Size: 45 GB
- OS: Windows 10 (64-Bit)