You are here
Ragnarok Online Review
Raganrok Online is an old-school Korean MMORPG with cute anime stylized graphics and immersive gameplay.
- Six unique classes
- Interesting combination of 2D and 3D graphics
- Huge amount of content
- Friendly community
Ragnarok Online Gameplay
Ragnarok Online was released in 2002 in South Korea. Beautiful graphics and high-quality optimization were so much adored by the gaming community that, in a short period, the MMORPG became famous all over the world. It was played on official and pirated servers, with updates and global changes awaited by all players. Novadays, the developers reworked some mechanics and improved content of the original version from 2002. The graphics have not changed—the environment is modeled in 3D, and the characters and monsters are hand-drawn sprites in flat 2D.
Players travel from one location to another, perform tasks on finding items, collecting resources, and killing monsters. They level up and learn combat skills. They gather in groups to explore dungeons and fight against bosses. PvP modes are few, presented by duels in arenas and guild wars. One clan defends the castle, while others try to capture it. The defenders receive passive increases of the health and speed of regeneration and also hire strong monsters to protect the fortress walls.
In Ragnarok Online, a person has two experience bars: basic and professional. When the first is filled, your character receives a new level, as well as some points of characteristics, which he can distribute between the following parameters:
- Strength - Affects your cold weapons attacks, the amount of weight carried, as well as the average damage.
- Dexterity - Increases bow efficiency and spell casting speed. Also increases your attack speed, accuracy, the chance to forge good equipment and tame an animal.
- Agility - Significantly improves the attack speed, allows dodging enemy strikes more frequently.
- Intellect - Affects the amount of magical damage, volume and mana recovery.
- Vitality - Responsible for the amount of health, protection from negative effects and physical damage.
- Luck - Raises the chances of critical damage, successful evasion, and domestication, as well as the chance that an alchemist successfully makes potions for you or a blacksmith successfully forges your weapons.
After an increase of professional experience, the player gains skill points that are used to learn abilities or magic spells. Professions in Ragnarok Online are called classes, and their skills can be combat and peaceful. At the start of the journey, the player is a beginner with a set of simple strokes, but, at the tenth level of the development, he chooses one of nine specializations, on the 40th level - the second profession, and on the 99th - the third. Among them, there are some standard ones: a magician, an archer, a swordsman. But the unusual ones are also represented: a taekwondo player, a merchant, a super newbie. They give different bonuses and push to the unique style of the game. The merchant is very weak, if not stocked with gold. The blacksmith passively enhances the equipment of the allies, and therefore there is no use of him if he travels alone. Game mechanics stimulate interaction with other people. Peaceful relations facilitate it.
Two players can get engaged, start a family and even adopt another person. His size will decrease, and he will receive an increased flow of experience. Family members can resurrect and teleport to each other, and also do not lose experience if they die near their relative.
Ragnarok Online is continually growing. Developers listen to the audience, introduce relevant changes and come up with new tests that are always interesting to pass and explore.
Ragnarok Online Classes
- Swordman — a physically strong melee class that can use a one-handed sword and a shield or two-handed weapon.
- Mage — a class of heroes who effectively fight the hordes of enemies using the long-ranged magic spells.
- Archer — the long-ranged agile fighters who use bows and longbows.
- Merchant — a unique class of heroes who have privileges in artisan professions.
- Thief — an agile stealth class. Thieves use daggers or katars as a weapon of choice.
- Acolyte — a hybrid class with high defence rate and powerful attack skills.
Ragnarok Online System Requirements
- Memory: 128 MB
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.00GHz
- File Size: 2 MB
- OS: Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP
- Memory: 256 MB
- Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
- File Size: 2 MB
- OS: Windows XP