You are here
Runes of Magic Review
Runes of Magic is a free-to-play fantasy MMORPG developed by Runewaker Entertainment and published in 2009.
- Story-driven gameplay
- Housing system
- Variety of classes
- Unique playstyle combinations
Runes of Magic Gameplay
Runes of Magic is a classic MMORPG with deep lore, more than 5000 quests, and large explorable world of Taborea. It has several content expansions. The game provides a choice of race, partial character customization and a feature of combined classes.
Runes of Magic has unique levelling system: when level 10 is reached, a player is allowed to choose a secondary class. Later in the game, the third class also becomes available. Mastering of this dual or triple class system determines the success in the game, as it grants more exclusive opportunities during the gameplay. Still, one character can develop only the class chosen during the creation.
You can choose one out of three races during character customization: humans, elves or dwarves. The choice of the race determines which class will be available for selection. Some classes are only accessible by certain races. There are 120 class combinations for each playable race.
Runes of Magic presents a classic raiding and dungeons system. Dungeons can be cleared out in solo or groups. The difficulty of the dungeon determines the amount and quality of the looted rewards. Raiding requires more than a standard six person-sized group, as the bosses possess more health points and deal more damage. Participants in raid dungeons must also be familiar with the tactics.
Crafting items and taming pets required to complete specific trials. Players can choose any profession by talking to the NPC that teaches a particular skill. Crafted items can also be sold on the market. In-game housing allows to build up a workshop right in the house a character lives in, to sell the goods.
PvP system features a classic scheme: participants of the combat can either fight individually or in groups while taking part in mass events, aimed at gaining special gear and experience. Guilds usually participate in battlegrounds events to claim certain territories by their name. There are two types of servers: PvP and PvE. On PvP servers, you are allowed to attack every player that has reached level 15. PvE servers grant an opportunity to strike others only if they have set the PK (Player Killer) status. Peaceful existence gives characters reputation - 1 point for every 20 minutes in the game. Aggression towards neutral characters decreases the reputation, and after some time confers the Infamous status. It causes city guards to attack and kill the crime. Fighting characters with negative reputation gives points and can help become a Hero.
Social interaction is an essential feature of Runes of Magic. Players can either become a master-student alliance or a married couple. Marrying other character grants some extra opportunities, such as teleportation to your spouse, more health points and exclusive attacks.
Runes of Magic Classes
There are ten classes in Runes of Magic that can be combined when reaching higher levels.
- Warrior — physically-oriented class, aimed at dealing the most amounts of damage to several enemies.
- Scout — roguelike class that excels from a distance by using stunning and weakening techniques.
- Rogue — a classic type of stealth characters, who don’t deal a lot of damage but are precise in their accuracy.
- Mage — not only is presented as a damage dealer with natural superpowers but also as a supporter that empowers the whole party.
- Priest — performs mainly as a healer but can also deal significant damage by using water magic.
- Knight — is a tank-type class, similar to the warrior but not as good at dealing damage. The defence is their primary role. Knights can only be chosen by Humans.
- Keeper — heavy damage dealing class with an ability to summon pets. Can only be chosen by Elves.
- Druid — an advanced healer class, that is slower than priest but more effective. Druid can only be chosen by Elves.
- Warlock — a support class, whose primary focus is buffing the party and cursing the enemies. Uses psychic energy to attack. Warlocks can only be chosen by Dwarves.
- Gladiator — heavy tank class with special defensive abilities. Can only be chosen by Dwarves.
Runes of Magic System Requirements
- Memory: 128 MB
- Graphics Card: DirectX 9.0
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
- File Size: 12 GB
- OS: Windows XP / Vista / 7
- Memory: 2 GB
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA 6800 DirectX 10.0
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
- File Size: 15 GB
- OS: Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8