You are here
Star Wars: The Old Republic Review
Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) is a sci-fi MMORPG based in the Star Wars universe.
- Many classes with unusual gameplay
- Exciting non-linear plot and immersive quests
- System of morality that influences the game events
- Excellent combat system both for PvP and PvE
Star Wars: The Old Republic Gameplay
SWTOR is one of the most famous MMORPG games. There are some reasonable things about it. First of all, it's descendant of the overwhelmingly successful KOTOR. Second, it has a deep non-linear plot, many classes with different storylines and gameplay style. And the last thing about this game is a unique RPG system with moral choices — it means, that every action done by your character will affect the events of the game and reactions of other characters. One more exciting feature is that your hero in this game is not your alter-ego — it already has a background, and the actions in the game described as Dark or Good only depending on your character's moral codex.
The central concept of the game is pretty simple: there are two controverting factions, the Jedi and the Siths. First one represents knight of light, and the second one gathers all the evil forces. Each side has four classes to play. They're almost equal for each faction, but the four fundamental roles differ dramatically.
Depending on the chosen class, you will get a personal spaceship. It's a specific machine that allows you to travel trough universe; at the same time, your ship is your base, where you can keep stuff and gather companions. Republic and Imperial engineers created many unique designs. Still, the most advanced models can be obtained only through the black market, so it's available exclusively for Bounty Hunter and Smuggler classes. Also, with your spaceship, you can participate in unique Space battles.
Using your spaceship, you can visit different planets and places in space. There are eight most densely populated and well-developed Coreward planets, four Distant planets in the Outer Rim, seven polluted and messy planets in Hutt Space, and seven planets belong to Siths. There are also most unexplored Unknown Regions and Wild Space, with three worlds in each region.
Another useful feature, companions, were introduced into the game to help the player with the craft and gathering. Also, these friendly NPCs will support you during the game, so that your spaceship wouldn't be empty. You will meet your first companion at the starting planet; each class have five unique supporters. They can talk with you, fight on your side and use Crew Skills. Also, sometimes you can get the quests from them; a trust in you will increase if you complete it. There are also an Influence rate, that means how close you to your companion. Some of them have romantic options. You can also give gifts to your companions to increase their bonus stats. Remember that all of them have different preferences, which you should find out in advance to avoid an awkward situation.
If you always were dreaming about personal droid or you want to tame one of the monstrous creatures that you meet during adventures, you can buy a Pet. There are a wide variety of beasts and mechanisms in the game. Pets can't be used in battle; their main goal is to lead you and wander around when you're going somewhere. You will probably find one that you like most: at the moment, there are more than two hundreds of pets in the game.
Summarizing, Star Wars: The Old Republic is a brilliant MMORPG, with tons of different activities, excellent roleplay part, great PvP arenas and deep, immersive and non-linear plot. It's a good game for fans of Star Wars or players that prefer to play RPG.
Another crucial decision during character creation is race choice. Of course, all of the races have different bonus abilities and stats, but in most cases, your race influences only your appearance. You can be free to choose one depending on the cosmetic features, then in-game privileges. Some of them are available only for certain factions, so it's wise to decide on the side of the conflict before you create the appearance of your hero.
Races available only to Sith:
- Chiss — mysterious blue-skinned creatures from the distant star system. Siths conquered their worlds and killed or enslaved all the inhabitants. Nowadays Chiss supporting Imperial forces and works together with them, even though this race has separated from Siths.
- Rattataki — warlike humanoid beings whose society built on violence and cruelty. They're the strongest warriors in the Universe.
- Sith Pureblood — the most force-sensitive race in the game. Purebloods are mysterious descendants of ancient Dark Jedi and original Sith race.
Races available only to Jedi:
- Miraluka — a human-near species that are born without eyes. They can see with the power of the Force.
- Mirialian — a race, which society is based on spiritualism and religion. They have a strong connection with the Force and high mental power.
Races available for both factions:
- Twi'lek — a quick and cunning physically powerful humanoids with exotic appearance. They have long tails on the head and unusual skin pigmentation; also, they have some extra-sensitive organs that make the Twi'leks the best at arts and communication.
- Zabrak — talented warriors and explorers who cannot calm down until they achieve their goal. The structure of their bodies and faces, they are similar to people, but otherwise, they are entirely different: Zabrak has red skin with a lot of tattoos and spikes on their faces.
- Human — one of the most numerous species. Humans' appearance, culture, and lifestyle are heterogeneous.
- Cyborg — a variant of the human race, improved by various augmentations. In other aspects, cyborgs are no different from humans.
Races that can be bought in Cartel Market:
- Cathar — a feline humanoid race, whose homeland is desert savannah planet with the same name. These creatures are temperamental and passionate. Cathars are great loyal warriors. They can be unlocked by Jedi only trough Cartel Market.
- Togruta — a humanoid race that can be obtained through the Cartel Market. The individuals of this species can join both Sith and Jedi factions.
- Nautolans — an amphibious race, living on oceanic planets. They can breathe air and feel good without water, so Nautolans have a wide variety of professions.
Star Wars: The Old Republic Classes
- Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior — the roles of close melee combat. Characters of these classes specialize in lightsaber fights. They develop physical power and defensive skills. Their advanced specializations are tanks Guardian and Juggernaut, or damage-dealers Sentinel and Maradeur, who use two lightsabers.
- Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor — the 'politic' classes, advanced users of Force. They also use their foresight to block enemy attacks and predict enemy actions. The advanced specialities for them are Sage and Sorcerers, healers with lots of offensive abilities, or Shadow and Assassin, masters of dual-bladed lightsaber fights.
- Trooper and Bounty Hunter — ranged class with physical damage. They use various guns and blasters. The advanced classes for these heroes are Vanguard and Power Tech, tank classes with durable shields, or healers Commando and Mercenary.
- Smuggler and Imperial Agent — 'rogue' classes; they're fast, agile, and dangerous. The advanced roles for them are healers Scoundrel and Operative, or powerful damage-dealers Gunslinger and Sniper.
Star Wars: The Old Republic System Requirements
- Memory: 3 GB
- Graphics Card: Intel HD 3000
- CPU: Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000
- File Size: 35 GB
- OS: Windows 7
- Memory: 3 GB
- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 610
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz
- File Size: 35 GB
- OS: Windows 7