You are here
Isometric MMO Games
More About Isometric MMO Games
When the first Isometric MMO Games were created, there was no proper 3D graphics. Most of the games had a pure top-down or side-view angle. Then the Isometric Games were designed. Actually, it's not the 3D. The objects just placed in the right positions to trick the brain and create a sense of three-dimensionality.
Most classic isometrics games were released in the mid and late nineties. This genre was trendy because it was incredibly picturesque compared to other games. The developers now had the opportunity to work out locations in more detail, add objects that were not visible in different perspectives, and strengthen immersion in the game. Even though the graphics often turned out to be messy, and the textures were not entirely readable, Isometrics were used almost everywhere.
Even though many years have passed since the creation of the genre, N is still very popular. Players like this design and isometric games are still developing - and not just by indie publishers. Although 3D is often associated with the 90s and retro MMOs, many new products have the same design.
Nowadays, the Isometrics of MMO and 3D MMO genres are often combined. In such games, all sprites and 2D backgrounds are replaced by three-dimensional models of characters and locations. Such a genre is now more popular than ever, and the same with its classic 2D version. Such a genre began to be called 2.5D Isometrics since it could not be attributed clearly to 2D or 3D.
Best Isometric MMO Games of all times
- Albion Online is an isometric MMO game in the fantasy sandbox genre. It has elegant 3D visuals and animations. On closer look, it becomes clear that the graphics in the game are very stylized.
- Ultima Online is a classic Isometric MMO game, one of the oldest in the genre and still very popular. Although this is a very old game, it has pretty stylized graphics so that it looks attractive after many years.
- Tree of Savior is a new Isometric MMO, based on Lithuanian mythology. The visuals in this game are cartoonish, especially character designs. At the same time, the landscapes of the locations are colourful and picturesque.
Best Isometric MMO from 2015
Since isometric camera angle is quite rare for modern MMO games, only a few projects feature this view angle. The best Isometric MMO from 2015 have semi-isometric and customizable camera angles, which are, however, based on the classic old-school camera.
- Vikings: War of Clans is a free-to-play browser strategy in a Scandinavian setting featuring unique Norse mythology.
- Secret Ponchos is a top-down action shooter in setting of spaghetti western.
- Bloodsports.TV is a cooperative hero defence video game with many playable classes of heroes.
Best Isometric MMO from 2016
The Isometric MMO from 2016 are mostly cross-platform or browser-based video games with simple graphics and low system requirements. Even though these projects have lack of realistic and sophisticated visuals, they're great for their immersive gameplay and social-based activities.
- Lords Mobile is a top-rated cross-platform social-driven strategy game with cartoonish graphics.
- Heroes at War is a browser-based economic MMO strategy in a medieval setting.
- Tree of Savior is a fairytale MMORPG with rich PvP content and numerous character classes.
Best Isometric MMO from 2017
Even though the isometric camera angle may seem too outdated and boring, many indie developers use it in their projects. Some of them use it because of the unique old-school atmosphere; others prefer it for convenient development and high accessibility of their games.
- Albion Online is a sandbox MMORPG in the open-world. This game is famous for is a sophisticated character development system.
- Wild Terra is an indie medieval sandbox MMORPG which emphasizes PvP content.
- Nine Parchments is a multiplayer blast-em-up video game with a unique graphic style.
Best Isometric MMO from 2018
Most of Isometric MMO from 2018 are mobile and browser video games with unique and simple graphics. There are different kinds of games from RPGs to simulators with many immersive and convenient gameplay features.
- Rogalia is a sandbox MMO in a fantasy setting which features vast open world and well-balanced PvP battles.
- My Sunny Resort is a simulator of a resort hotel management.
- SAO's Legend is a browser-based MMORPG based on the setting of Sword Art Online.
Best Isometric MMO from 2019
Unlike previous years, there are not only indie experiments among Isometric MMO from 2019: there are many popular video games developed by major studios. These projects have vivid and eye-catching visuals, smooths animations and almost realistic graphics.
- Lost Ark is an online isometric MMORPG dungeon-crawler with amazing graphics.
- VainGlory is a free-to-play cross-platform MOBA game with strategy elements.
- SpellForce 3: Soul Harvest is an MMORTS with isometric graphics and incredible visual style.
Best Isometric MMO from 2020
Even the most recent video games can have an isometric camera angle. Isometric visuals don't look old-fashioned in the best Isometric MMO from 2020, because their developers do their best to create new graphic styles. There are many games with gloomy realistic graphics and with bright cartoonish visuals too.
- Fractured MMO is an isometric sandbox MMORPG with dynamic interactive gameplay.
- Path of Exile 2 is a sophisticated continuation of the famous dungeon-crawler game.
- Corepunk is a MMORPG in unique setting of steampunk, cyberpunk, and dark fantasy.