You are here
More About Japanese MMORPG
The Japanese MMORPG is not very common, because the audience of this country prefers mobile games and different casual projects; the most successful JRPGs are well-known worldwide because they oriented more on the international community of gamers. Usually, they are colossal long-maintained and famous video games, which can have several projects in series. These games are very detailed and well-developed, so you’ll most likely find appealing content no matter what were you looking for.
These games are quite hardcore, but not only because of their sophisticated mechanics. Just as other Asian games, Japanese MMORPG is focused on the grind and complex structured character development. These projects have very specific gameplay, based on the grind, constant battles with random mobs and complex end-game content, where players compete for the rarest and strongest weapons and equipment, which requires dozens of hours to be crafted. If you’re not a casual player, you’ll most likely spend many days honing skills of your hero and completing monotonous actions to reach new levels.
Still, Japanese MMORPG is suitable for casual players too: these games usually have an unusually detailed plot, in-depth lore, many exciting quests and locations to explore; also, they offer entertaining competitions, based primarily on PvE combat. The last but the most noticeable feature of JRPGs is a visual style: these games have not only pretty anime-inspired graphics but also in-depth character editors and high customization.
Best Japanese MMORPG
- Final Fantasy 14 is one of the most famous JRPGs. This game has one of the most profound universe lore, well-balanced class system and immersive gameplay, based on PvE combat.
- Phantasy Star Online 2 is a Japanese MMORPG in a fantasy sci-fi setting, with the charming visual style and fast-paced, dynamic combat.
- Final Fantasy 11 is an old-school MMORPG, which still have a colossal fanbase because of its immersive gameplay and exciting plot.
Best Free to Play Japanese MMORPG
Even though Japan is one of the countries with the most advanced game development, MMORPG games are released there quite rarely. Also, many of them are distributed by pay to play or buy to play model, which narrows down the list of Free-to-Play Japanese MMORPG games even more. However, there are several amazing free RPG games with tons of content and immersive gameplay.
- Closers is an episodic MMORPG with a dynamic combat system and many different playable characters.
- Blue Protocol is an upcoming fantasy action MMORPG with the colossal interactive world.
- Phantasy Star Online 2 is an action roleplaying-game in a sci-fi setting with diverse playable classes.
Best Japanese Style Action MMORPG
Most of the Japanese Style Action MMORPG Games are developed by creators from other Asian countries. Many Korean MMORPGs borrow the visual style of Anime, which is very popular in Japan, or use popular trends from Japanese games.
- TERA is a free-to-play Korean fantasy MMORPG with an action combat system.
- KurtzPel is a PvP oriented Korean MMORPG and in-depth character customization.
- Blade and Soul is a fantasy MMORPG with different PvP game modes from solo duels to faction wars.
Best Japanese MMORPG From 2016
Unfortunately, not a single popular MMORPG was released by Japanese developers in 2016. However, a popular series of games SoulWorker developed by Korean company Lion Games Studios was first tested and published exclusively for the Japanese market.
- SoulWorker is a Korean action MMORPG in anime style featuring diverse gameplay and many playable characters.
- Dark Souls 3 is a hardcore action/RPG in the gothic fantasy world.
- Persona 5 is a role-playing video game in Persona series.
Best Japanese MMORPG From 2017
The best Japanese games in 2017 were only single-player games. Despite the lack of multiplayer and the inability to share the adventure with friends, these projects still attract many players with unique stories, elaborate graphics and interesting characters.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a JRPG in Xeno series, which features immersive open-world exploration.
- Tales of Berseria is a fantasy action role-playing game with turn-based battles.
- Nier: Automata is an action role-playing game with hack-and-slash elements and fantastic storyline.
Best Japanese MMORPG From 2018
In 2018, the market of Japanese MMORPG was expanded only with the continuation of the famous Monster Hunter series. Despite that, many single-player RPG games were released.
- Monster Hunter World is an action cooperative JRPG in the colossal open world.
- Code Vein is a souls-like action role-playing game in an open world.
- Dragon Quest XI is a story-driven JRPG with cute cartoonish graphics.
Best Japanese MMORPG From 2019
As in previous years, not a single MMORPG was added to the Japanese game market. Instead, most often came out colossal action JRPG with an interesting plot and complex mechanics, and even a new game from the series RPG strategies Fire Emblem.
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a tactical RPG with turn-based battles and immersive storyline.
- Kingdom Hearts III is an action RPG combining the Square Enix and Disney universes.
- God Eater 3 is an action RPG with hack-and-slash gameplay.
Best Japanese MMORPG From 2020
For the first time in many years, the Japanese MMORPG market will be enriched with many new projects. Many of them are in early access and have not yet reached release, but all Japanese MMORPG From 2020 are all worth attention.
- Craftopia is an indie action RPG with sandbox elements and advanced systems of mechanism creation.
- Blue Protocol is a fantasy action MMORPG with immersive and interactive open world.
- Crimson Desert is an upcoming continuation of fantasy MMORPG Black Desert Online.