You are here
Retro MMORPG List
More About Retro MMORPG
The main feature of the Retro Games is that they were all created long ago. These games usually have outdated graphics and simple mechanics, which nowadays have become classics. The interest in this genre of games is driven by the nostalgia and the idea that older games have better quality. Many Retro MMORPG gets remakes and extended maintenance; many projects are getting significant updates even after more than twenty years of being online.
Even though the Retro MMORPG community is one of the largest and active, many games have a small number of players online. It’s often uneasy to find a party for the raid of the boss, or an active guild so that it’s much more convenient to play with friends. Still, many video games are playable even for the solo gamer.
The Retro MMORPG includes many different genres, from fantasy to fighting games. Especially stand out the RPG projects; one of the oldest MMORPGs are created in the form of the text-based Multi-User Dungeons. It’s impressive that many MUDs still have an active community and dozens of players online. These games require the only browser to be run, so it’s accessible to players with the weakest PCs. Unfortunately, many old-school games have only player-made unofficial servers, because of the lack of online users.
The atmosphere and style of retro MMORPG sometimes can be used in new projects. For example, some modern games feature the top-down or isometric perspective and pixel graphics, characteristic of retro games.
Best Retro MMORPG
- Everquest is one of the first successful 3D MMORPGs, that is released in 1999 and still available to play. It provides a unique visual style, interesting plot, many in-game classes and races, and many major updates with new content are still added.
- Final Fantasy 11 is one of the most popular games in FF series. This game is released in 2002, and since these days it’s still overwhelmingly popular.
- Runescape is a colossal MMORPG with many flexible mechanics and immersive gameplay. It was released in 2001.
Best 2D Retro MMORPG Games
Most old school games use an outdated visual style, which was standard at the dawn of video games development. 2D and pixel graphics have a unique, pleasant stylistic which is suitable for a wide variety of projects and can be displayed on any computer with no flaws.
- Ultima Online is a famous MMORPG with tons of content and PvP oriented combat system.
- Realm of the Mad God is a 2D pixel MMORPG in a fantasy setting with action battles and epic bosses.
- 8BitMMO is an 8bit MMORPG with the immersive building system.
Best Retro MMORPG From 2015
Despite the popularity of old school graphics style and mechanics, retro MMORPGs are released quite rarely. Most of these projects immediately get an audience and continue to develop unique ideas drawn from video games that gamers love.
- Sphere 3 is an indie MMORPG in a fantasy setting featuring an action combat system.
- RPG MO is an isometric MMORPG with pixel graphics.
- Undertale is an immersive indie game with deep storyline and gameplay.
Best Retro MMORPG From 2016
Unfortunately, not a single popular MMORPG in retro style was released in 2016. However, the creators from all over the world released many single-player role-playing projects with different settings, gameplay styles, and genres.
- Roguelands is a multiplayer roguelike RPG with procedurally generated worlds.
- Punch Club is a 2D RPG with beat-em-up combat.
- Ember is an indie story-driven isometric RPG.
Best Retro MMORPG From 2017
- Bit Heroes is a free-to-play turn-based MMORPG with pixel graphics.
- Darkfall: Rise of Agon is a hardcore old-school MMORPG with real-time combat.
- Wild Terra is a medieval sandbox MMORPG with 2.5D graphics.
Best Retro MMORPG From 2018
In 2018 some incredibly expected MMORPG games with old-school gameplay mechanics were released. These projects use ideas and systems from retro RPG games and are adapted in such a way that modern gamers would be pleased to immerse themselves in the story.
- Shroud of the Avatar is a fantasy MMORPG inspired by Ultima Online.
- Project Gorgon is an indie fantasy MMORPG with player-driven gameplay.
- CrossCode is a retro action RPG in a futuristic sci-fi setting.
Best Retro MMORPG From 2019
In 2019 the MMORPG market was enlarged by only one project in retro style: it was pixel MMORPG stein.world, attracting players with deep character customization and great diversity of gameplay activities.
- stein.world is an action MMORPG in a fantasy setting with pixel graphics.
- UnderMine is a roguelike action-adventure game with RPG mechanics.
- Backbone: Prologue is an atmospheric indie detective adventure with RPG elements.
Best Retro MMORPG From 2020
- Astonia: The Return of Yendor is a hardcore fantasy MMORPG with classic gameplay mechanics.
- Wild Terra 2: New Lands a sequel of medieval sandbox MMORPG Wild Terra.
- Bloodlines of Prima is a fantasy MMORPG with old-school visual style.